Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Then again, maybe it's a moot point.


I don't think I'll be reading The Count of Monte Cristo after all--not this copy at least. Seems that someone in N.O.'s family once used it to hide secret treasure. I didn't know people did this in real life, but I find it extremely charming. I am against the destruction of books in general, but it's not like this was the only copy.

Sadly, the treasure was no longer in the book, so I have no idea what was hidden in there. Oh, how I wish I knew!

Doesn't it kinda explain a lot about N.O. that he comes from a family that hides things in cutaway books? It's so mysterious and romantic. It reminds me of how, when I was a kid, I just longed for a secret passageway. What I would have done in there if I had one, I have no idea! But wouldn't it have been cool?

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I love this post! Cutaway books ARE charming and romantic. And how fun that you just happened upon it!

27/4/06 10:46 AM  
Blogger Queen, III said...

I still dream daily of a secret passage - and a secret garden! It is fascinating that you have a book that once hid something. I think that I would probably be obsessed trying to figure out what was in it!

27/4/06 10:54 AM  
Blogger Fork said...

So ya goin' with the rabbits?

27/4/06 11:16 AM  
Blogger AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Yup. Bunnies it is. I think I have to read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz before I read Wicked, since my entire Oz knowledge is based on the movie and the play.

27/4/06 1:12 PM  
Blogger Grizham said...

Despite how sad that is that you won't be able to read that fun bit of revenge in the count of MC, at the same time, I am geeking out about something as cool as a cutaway book.

Reminds me of movies like the Godfather or even better, the cutaway bible in Shawshank redemption. Still a very neat, and somewhat useful treasure to have

28/4/06 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home