Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ten-Cents-on-the-Dollar A-Dub!

I think I have it in me to become one of those terrifying women who get all worked up about major sales and caught up in the thrill of the hunt.

Last week, at one of my favorite places, a craft/arts supply mecca that for the sake of anonymity I'll call the MaryJo Superstore on Preston & Forrest, I discovered Christmas wreaths at 90% off. Pretty, pre-lit wreaths. Sure, it's March. But you don't pass up an opportunity to buy something that's regularly $19.99 for only $1.99! That would be insane! Besides, these are things I can really see myself using--I was just too cheap to pay $19.99 for them the first time around. I bought three for myself and another five for my crafty mom, and went home feeling very proud.

A few days later, at another MaryJo store (Mockingbird and Abrams) --don't make fun, they're very different stores!-- I discovered another miracle! GORGEOUS Christmas wrapping paper for 90% off. For those of you who don't know, wrapping paper, especially the cool designs like these were, can get really expensive. These were big, beautiful rolls for $0.39 - $0.99 each! I bought four for myself, then called my mom and sisters to see how many they wanted. Over the next two days, I went back four times. I ended up buying over 20 rolls. But it's cool, because I only spent like $13! At prices like those, they're practically paying YOU to take it away!

Now I'm feeling smart. I mean, yeah, right now it's just something to store, but this stuff is really going to start paying dividends next Christmas when I have beautiful wreaths to decorate and gorgeous wrapping paper to wrap stuff in, and all of it for mere pennies. I'm starting to get a little high each time I look at one of those receipts and see the savings!

So imagine my delight yesterday afternoon... the place I'm working right now, Everycity Children's Museum, is located inside a mall. To minimize the distance I have to walk through said mall, I park outside a department store. Let's call it "BJ Nickels." Nickels has had a slightly frumpy reputation over the past few years, but they've really stepped it up lately with some very hip, young fashions. Really cute stuff! I've been noticing this every day when I walk through. But I hadn't gotten around to buying anything until yesterday. When I saw a rack with a sign on top. Actually, it was more of a beacon. And it might as well have had my name on it. The sign read:
$2.77
That's right. Everything on this clearance rack is $2.77. Sweaters. Skirts. Cardigans. Pants. $2.77 each! I bought a slew of sweaters yesterday afternoon. Yes, they're on their way out of season, but they're CUTE! And they'll still be cute next year!!! This morning, on my way in to work, I bought a couple more sweaters, a tank top, and some pants. My total for these two days' worth of shopping was a mere $23! I'm geting excited just thinking about it. But the biggest thrill of all came a bit later, when I looked at my receipt.

"Pastel cardigan," it read. "Regular price $50.00. Clearance price $2.77"

My friends, that's a savings of over 95%.
And at the bottom of the receipt: "Total: $11.99. Your total savings today: $136.92."
I could get used to this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Queen, III said...

I need to start shopping with you! I never find deals like those!!!

8/3/06 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home