Monday, May 22, 2006

More random thoughts

I have a confession to make. Despite sidebar claims to the contrary, I have not been reading Watership Down. I tried... for about eight pages. But I just cannot work up any interest. I know, I know, it's like a fourth grade reading level book. But it's about rabbits! I love fluffy bunnies, but reading a whole novel about them just seems kind of stupid. Even if the book jacket is covered with amazingly glowing praise from reputable sources. I don't care. Maybe someday I'll try again, but for now, I'm giving up on this one.

My Mobiblu broke the other day. I don't know if that was just due to a defect in the product or if I was a little too rough with it. (Probably the latter. Throwing it into the bottom of my tote bag and dropping a massive jug -- 2 liters! -- of water onto it every day could not have done it any favors.) But I actually decided to move up to something a little larger, both in memory and in physical size. I LOVE "tiny tech," but I would also like to be able to use my mp3 player's menu, and the Mobiblu's screens and buttons were just a little too tiny to do that easily. So, based on CNET's highly favorable editor review, I ordered a Cowon iAudio U2. It's still itty-bitty (and still modeled by a fella with horrible nails and cuticles!), but this one boasts a screen that's large enough to see and a more user-friendly joystick type selector rather than the tiny button that you have to squish your thumbnail up against. It arrived on Friday, and so far, it's getting a big thumbs-up from me. If you're looking for a non-iPod option and you don't need mega-memory, this is the way to go. We got it for about $112, including shipping, from BuyDig.

I'm going to be far more careful with this one. I want it to last longer than five months.

Something that annoys me: Reliant Energy--shouldn't it really be "Reliable?" I believe Chrysler also made a car by this name during the 1980s.

Reliant: depending upon another for support.

Of course, Reliant is hardly alone in this. Share with me. What are your picks for most nonsensical corporate names or slogans?

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen, III said...

It drives me crazy the way Overstocked.com's commercials seem to be Overtly reminding us that "O" also stands for Orgasm.

23/5/06 2:24 PM  
Blogger AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

I refuse to get an iPod because I am annoyed by its ubiquity. Though I admit, it is annoying to have to say "my mp3 player" in casual conversation, when "my iPod" has so many fewer syllables.

23/5/06 10:48 PM  
Blogger Fork said...

Don't give up on the bunnies! There's a harrowing tale of survival tucked away in those pages if only you can find it!

And seriously, you don't want to read 'Wicked'. How can you not buy an iPod, yet want to read 'Wicked'? It's like you don't want to be trendy, but you still sorta do.

I'm so confused.

24/5/06 3:17 PM  
Blogger AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Shut up.

24/5/06 3:20 PM  
Blogger AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

It is a character fault I'm not proud of: I always resist trends very hard, then usually give in to them. (American Idol, LOST, blogging, gaucho pants, myspace--though I still don't really get what's so great about myspace.) But there are some things I will NEVER do (buy an iPod, read DaVinci Code, accept the new, bloggery dumbed-down definition of "meme", watch Desperate Housewives). So let me cling to what remains of my individuality, won't you?
Besides, at this rate, I will never get around to reading Wicked anyway. All I really want to do is re-read To Kill a Mockingbird and Peter Pan...

24/5/06 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home