Thursday, January 19, 2006

Something new

I know I haven't posted anything in a while... I've been a little busy--studying for my GRE (this SATURDAY, oh my goodness!!!), getting my application materials together, looking for jobs, and doing some freelance grant writing. Cool word, freelance. From the German frei lanz, which translates roughly into "no benefits."

I don't really have anything to post about right now. I just felt a little ashamed about not having posted in a week. And I also wanted to establish that I'm alive, because if there's one thing I've learned from crimelibrary.com, it's that the first thing that happens if you turn up missing or dead is that detectives comb the blogosphere for clues. Not that I'm planning on turning up missing or dead. Just want to cover my bases.

See, if you read as many mystery stories as I do, you begin to get a little paranoid about the little details of your life that super-sleuths might comb through to find clues. I can just see it now...

Medical examiner, speaking into tape recorder: Cause of death, subdural hematoma and vitreous hemorrhaging resulting from blunt force trauma. Blood alcohol content is zero, but tox screen shows extremely high levels of naproxen sodium. Probably would have destroyed the liver eventually. Let's see, stomach contents... hmmm, this is odd. Victim's dinner apparently consisted of a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, a Little Debbie oatmeal snack cake and a Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr Pepper. Sad.

Or this...

Stabler: So, she's just gone, huh? Have you searched the car?

Bensen: All we found was a Queen Greatest Hits album. Oh, and these. We thought they were a little strange.

Stabler: Why, there must be... seven hundred napkins here.

Bensen: Yeah, she was hoarding them. I guess she just couldn't throw them away.

Stabler (nodding, he's seen this before): Because you just never know when you're going to dribble Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr Pepper all over your shirt. (shudders.) Let's go, Olivia. There's nothing else we can do here.

So, anyway. 8:26 PM and all is well!

3 Comments:

Blogger Queen, III said...

You are cracking me up! I also get the same type of paranoia! I guess that's what crime library and mystery novels will do to you!

20/1/06 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I guilted you into posting. Well done. So, did I get the right Queen cd?

20/1/06 1:12 PM  
Blogger Fork said...

You need to write a play, AWO. Seriously. How did the GRE go?

23/1/06 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home